Saturday 20 August 2011

Andrew Goodwin's Six Points

I have applied Goodwin's six points to my chosen band and their song for my music video:


  1. Music videos demonstrate the genre characteristics -  For Edelweiss, because they are a Gypsy Punk band there will be shots of them on the stage performing in front of an audience, green Lazar lights and unusual props dotted around the band to show their quirky attitude. 
  2. There is a relationship between the lyrics and the visuals - My chosen lyrics tell a story of a girl one of the band members  met in a bar and so I will incorporate some shots of the girl and a bar with the lead singer.
  3. There is a relationship between the music and the visuals -  The main instruments used in the song are Guitar, bass guitar and a drum set, to show that the band have used these, I will include a few long shots of the band playing together and a few extreme shots of the guitar and the drums being played. 
  4. The demand of the record label will include the need for a lot of close ups of the artist/band which may develop motifs to make their work recognisable - As the genre of the song is indie, I want to go with the conventions of this style but include a twist. For my music video, I want the band members to wear checked shirts and rolled up sleeves either designer; the preferred label would be Fred Perry, Dc Martins style shoes, pierced ear with thick black stud. With this in mind, I do not want the band to look Gothic. There will also be a lot of close up shots of the band so that their band identity id recognisable which would influence people to want to look like them.
  5. Is there a frequent reference to the notion of looking and the particularity voyeuristic treatment of the female body - In my music video there will not be a constant image of the female body, however, the girl in the music video would be good-looking but the camera angle to not portray her in any sexual way.
  6. There is often inter textual reference - The music video style would be similar to the Arctic Monkeys because the genre is similar.

No comments: