Friday 2 September 2011

Researching Unsigned Bands/Artists

In preparation for my own music video I have researched bands that mainly have the genre style of Indie pop, rock. I have deliberately limited my choices because it would be easier when it comes to filming, all there is needed is the band, possibly other people to act for the storyline of what the song is portraying. There will also be no need for a dance group because it would not fit with the genre of the song. However, in one of The Arctic Monkeys music video there is a dance group, but it fits in well with the beat of the song and style with the way it has been sung. To find bands I have used Unsigned.com as a search engine.

The Scandal
Genre: Rock, Indie and funk

Band members: George Fayle - guitar/lead singer
Tom Hindle - Bass/ Backing vocals
Michael McManus - Drums/backing vocals

They are from Leeds UK. I have chosen them because I think that their music is similar to The Arctic Monkeys. I also think that because they are a band it would be easier to film by focusing onto three different people of the band. Here is there unsigned web account http://www.unsigned.com/thescandalleeds


Karolina By The Scandal



 I think that their music would be easy to work with because the genre and style of their singing would make it easy for me to create a music video.

I have contacted this band via email, I have found two emails for this band and I have used both.

"Dear, The Scandal band,
I am an A level student studying media and for our A2 assignment I have to create a music video for an unsigned band. During this process I will have other people acting out in the music video, create a storyboard of ideas to put in the video, design a CD and digipack designs, create a magazine cover advertising your song.
I have found your band on the unsigned website; I think that your music genre is great and would be good for a music video. I would be interested in choosing "Karolina" or "The General Perspective" for the music video then I will create. Also could I have the lyrics for these songs please?
If you are interested please contact me ASAP. Thank you
S.Mistry"

Furthermore, by looking on their Unsigned account and listening to their songs, I would prefer to choose "Karolina" for my music video. Listening to this song I came up with ideas to include in the music video.  Below is a rough idea of how I would want the music video to look like:

  • Star with a location shot of the band standing in a line walking through an abandoned warehouse. The beginning of the video will show the front of the band and at the end it will show behind them with their backs facing the camera and walking out of the abandoned warehouse. 
  • When the song starts it is slow with the sound of a guitar at the end of a line in the song. At this point I thought it would be good to show the band setting up their instruments and a girl would be at the side watching them set up. This would set the storyline of the song being about a girl who was interested in them but grew out of that interest when another guy came in.
  • Mainly close up shots of the band playing the guitar and the drums in synchronisation with the song.
  • Another location at a bar as the song mentions "I was sitting in a tiny bar". For this I may need permission to film in a bar or I could set one up.
  • As the song is upbeat especially during the chorus, I want to film the band together messing about such as running around in shopping trolleys and playing football. Showing their audience what they do besides creating music and also setting their target audience to be mainly girls’ ages from 16-18 years old as they may fancy members of the band.

I have also contacted other bands and artists such as:

  • Band name: 1984
Genre: indie, Pop, Rock
From: London

  • Band name: Silent Sundays
Genre: Indie, Punk Rock
From: Sheffield

  • Band name: The Colours
Genre: Pop, Dance, Alternative
From: United Kingdom

I later decided not to choose these bands above because I lost interest in their song and so could not come up with a concept for the music video.

Below is an artist in which I found on Unsigned.com

Carl Hauck

 Genre: Acoustic, Folk, Experimental
From: USA

For the music video I was considering in choosing "Martial Riesling"

Martial Riesling


I wanted to choose this song for my music video because I thought that it was peaceful and calm. However, it would have been hard to create an interesting music video in a modern way because the song itself sounds oldfashioned.



No comments: