Thursday 8 September 2011

Animatic for my First Chosen Song

Karolina by The Scandal


I first chose this song from The Scandal because the jazz, indie, pop elements were, in my opinion, easy to work with. The lyrics to the song clearly stated what the song is about. The storyline of the song is about a girl who the lead singer loves but his friends tell him that she is not worth it. In my animatic I have put long and close up shots showing the band performing in a white room or a basement. I had two ideas for showing the band playing instruments because I thought the white room would give a clear focus on the band and so the audience would not get distracted by the background. My second choice was the basement because in my opinion it would show how they used to practise songs together. The next scene is at a park, showing all the band members messing about and having fun. This would also show that the target audience may be for girls from the age of 16-18 years old because they may be attracted to the way they act when they are not performing on stage. Moreover, the last scene is in a bar where the lead singer meets a girl who comes up to him and says "I like your music" and he replies saying "I like your face". I have decided not to choose this song for my music video because, I have found a song with a lot more beat and so it is easy to get more shots in the music video and keep it fast pass. I also think that this song was slow and I also did not like the pop elements of the song. Furthermore, the ideas I had for the music video did not match the song. In my opinion, the ideas where better then the song and so the song would have looked out of place with the music video. 

End Credits by Chase and status ft. Plan B


In my animatic to shows how I have thought about the band identity and how their genre would be reflected in their music video. I have taken some inspiration from existing music videos such as quick picture type shots shown in End credits by chase and status ft. Plan B.


Moving to New York by The Wombats




Some of my inspiration for my music video has come from Moving to New York by The Wombats. I have wanted my music video to be similar to this because the genre is comparable to my chosen song. From this video, I have embraced the harmonious shots of the band, to show and reflect their personality. I feel that this would be a good technique to draw audiences to watch the music video because it would give laughter.

Below are a few photographs some of the drawing that are included in my animatic.


Above is an extreme shot of the guitar being played. I intend to use this in my music video because I have found that most music videos in this genre tend to have close ups of instruments being played. This would also show their audience their skill at playing the instruments and how well they are capable of playing. In particular, this is mostly done in Viva La Vida by Coldplay which is where I found some of my inspiration from.

Viva la Vida by Coldplay




I wanted to put the name of the band on the drums so that their audience would recognise the name of the band and creating a band identity. Their name would act as a logo for the band. Moreover, the handwriting style on the drums would become recognisable throughout the music video. 


The long shot shows behind the band, I have seen this technique in one of the Arctic Monkey's video. I want to include this into my music video because I think that is effective and mysterious. It would let the audience feel as though they are on stage with the band performing. It will also allow the audience to see what the band can see. Below is a screen shot of the Arctic Monkeys music video to show where the inspiration has from.




In my music video, I wanted to include shots of the band messing about, playing football and just having a good time. This would reflect their personality to their audience and show them what they get up to other then creating music.


Here is another shot from my animatic of a different location, in the bar. This would show where the band member met a girl as it is mentioned in the song.

No comments: